Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Camp Bentzon

Camp Benton
“Yes, sailing!” group five said. It was time for sailing; there had been a lot of talk that sailing was the best activity. Peter told us everything we had to know. So we took off. I was solo sailing with two other people, Josh P and Victoria. When I went, I basically capsized straight away! So I had to get the boat up again. It was filled with water, so I had to go back to shore to get it out. After that I was alright until the centre board hit the bottom. I was struggling again and had to pull it up a bit more so I could go again. I got back to shore the quickest because the lighter you are, the faster you go.

After that it was down time, which means you have a choice to go fishing, swim, play volley ball or read a book quietly. Most people chose fishing or a swim. I chose fishing every night except for nights when we weren’t allowed.
I caught 13 fish, most of them snapper. I also caught the biggest one. It was a kahawai.  Seif’s fish was close to the size of mine because he caught a snapper and they are short and fat and my fish was long and skinny.  To really know whose was the biggest, they would have to be weighed.

Kayaking was our second activity. We kayaked about 3 and a half kilometers. We went right round the bay and then out to Survivor Island. After we got to Survivor Island we put our kayaks on the Island and then we went into a huge cave in a rock. Erin took us through and showed us a mini rock pool that had bright purple and green sea anemones. Then she opened oysters and most people ate them, but I didn’t. After that we had to go all the way back. It was hard work.

Overall I think Camp Bentzon was a great experience. I would love to go back again because there were a lot of exciting activities, great areas and good walks.
By SW

No comments: